Thursday, May 7, 2015

Feedly Article #3

#MathPhotoADay Project

The #mathphotoaday project was started by a third grade teacher named Mrs. Bettes in Manitoba. She started out having her third graders take pictures of a math concept every day for the whole month of May. Each day, she would give them a prompt, such as to take a picture of a polygon. Then these were shared on Twitter. The students learned quite a bit from the project and it allowed them to be creative. It was also a great way to get the students to start seeing math concepts in their real life surroundings.

In a high school classroom, I would make the prompts a little more challenging. I could have students take pictures of different situations where using the Pythagorean Theorem would apply, for example. I would have students upload these to the classroom blog so that all of the students could see them and I could review them. I think it would be fun to see what students come up with, and I think students will enjoy looking for ways to use math in real life. It could be a fun way to end the school year by reviewing major concepts we covered.

I read about this project in two different articles by Richard Byrne in Free Technology for Teachers. These are titled Making Observations With "Photo a Day" Projects and Photograph Math - #mathphotoaday . Check these out and I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment